Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Balance your black beans.

Ever crave black beans? I do. And it happens suddenly. It's like out of the blue, my body needs the 15 grams of fiber and 15 grams of protein (per cup), along with a ton of iron. This is why I always have canned black beans in my pantry. No need to soak. Just make a quick 'sofrito' or 'adereso' with olive oil, diced onions, green pepper, and fresh chopped tomato. Spice your adereso with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and fry that up for a bit until onion is clear. Add 1 can of black beans. Simmer for a few.

I happened to pick up a pack of whole baby portobellos (mushrooms) today and thought that a bit of acidity goes very well with the earthy flavor of beans. Wash and dry your mushrooms. Slice to preferred thickness and saute in a hot oiled pan for a couple of minutes, salt and peppering to taste. Finish up your mushrooms with a healthy splash of good balsamic vinegar. Coat mushrooms and remove from heat.



Pair your beans with the balsamic glazed baby portobellos and you will be in black bean heaven!

And if you're like me and crave even more protein...heat up any left-over lean pork (this is what I had tonight) or steak and tah dah! Oh yes, and how could I forget the red wine. Tonight I poured a delicious glass of Coppola Tempranillo I received as a lovely gift. Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment